Popular Posts

Tuesday 13 March 2012

Wuthering Heights.

I had this playing on repeat (because I have a lovely chrome extension to do that) while I read this really interesting blog post.
It was pretty sad to read.

I've been reading Wuthering Heights lately. It has taken me a while to get into it but I'm quite enjoying it at this stage. Some bits from it are really really sweet. Catherine is a bit of a bitch but when she comes out with stuff like this you have to love her a little.

I've no more business to marry Edgar Linton than I have to be in heaven; and
if the wicked man in there had not brought Heathcliff so low, I shouldn't have thought of it.
It would degrade me to marry Heathcliff, now; so he shall never know how I love him; and
that, not because he's handsome, Nelly, but because he's more myself than I am. Whatever our souls are made of, his and mine are the same, and Linton's is as different as a moonbeam from lightening, or frost from fire.

....
Moments later
....

Who is to separate us, pray? They'll meet the fate of Milo! Not as long as I live, Ellen - for no mortal creature. Every Linton on the face of the earth might melt into nothing, before I could consent to forsake Heathcliff. Oh, that's not what I intend - that's not what I mean! I shouldn't be Mrs Linton were such a price demanded! He'll be as much to me as he has been all his lifetime. Edgar must shake off his antipathy, and tolerate him, at least. He will when he learns my true feelings towards him. Nelly I see now, you think me a selfish wretch, but, did it never trike you that, if Heathcliff and I married, we should be beggars? whereas, if I marry Linton, I can aid Heathcliff to rise, and place him out of my brother's power.

...

My love for Linton is like the foliage in the woods. Time will change it, I'm well aware, as winter changes the trees - my love for Heathcliff resembles the eternal rocks beneath - a source of little visible delight, but necessary. Nelly, I am  Heathcliff - he's always, always in my mind - not as a pleasure, any more than I am always a pleasure to myself - but, as my own being - so,don't talk of our separation again - it is impracticable



It's definitely my favourite passage from the book so far, I'm only about 1/3 of the way through though so who knows what is to come. I imagine it's going to become quite sad. I really like how my little sister underlined parts and put hearts beside the bits she really liked. She studied it for Leaving Cert so it's full of bent English class stuff too.

Right, I had better do some work today, also better tell my dad that those lads yesterday decided not to offer me an internship. It's a mix of emotions, I'm happy I don't have to worry about being obliged to take it, but I'm not looking forward to my dad wanting to analyse why I didn't get it. The guy offered to give me tips for future interviews/my cv, which I'm sure my dad will insist I take, but I'm rather indifferent about it.

I'm thinking of applying for this summer camp thing in the states that my friend did a previous summer. I think it'd be pretty fun, although I'm not sure what the dates are and other stuff so maybe I'd regret it if it means I'd have to miss out on the end of days with the college crew. Although maybe nobody is going to be around anyways :/ .

Most people don't seem to have a plan.

I'd like a plan.

No comments:

Post a Comment